We are open and here to help! Due to COVID-19, for your safety and convenience, we are providing consultations and meetings via phone or video conferencing. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions! Click here to visit our COVID-19 Resource Center.

Can I Move with My Child During a Divorce or Paternity Action?

When two exes share children, their paths will continue to cross for years to come as children are the link keeping divorced or separated parents connected whether they like or not. If you have a child with an ex, you are no stranger to navigating the complexities of complicated schedules, tense communication, and more. However, you may resent feeling obligated to your ex when you have an opportunity waiting for you elsewhere. The prospect of moving with your child may seem impossible though it doesn’t have to be.

Under these circumstances, you may move with your child during a divorce or paternity case:

  • If you are within a 50-mile radius or within the jurisdiction of the court and complying with previous orders
  • If you and your child’s other parent have a written agreement

As expected, there are specific exceptions to this rule. For example, if you want to relocate beyond 50 miles or relocate out-of-state, then you must get approval from the court or the other parent before you can even contemplate moving. While it may seem harmless to simply move down the street or within the neighborhood, especially if your child’s life remains largely impacted, you must review the court’s standing order before making that move. If you do not confirm these details, illegally moving with your child can result in disastrous legal consequences.   

Compassionate Family Lawyers Skillfully Fighting for You

At Family First Legal Group, we are endlessly understanding of how important your family law issues are. Our family law attorneys are experienced in artfully negotiating you and your family’s needs to fruition, as we feel no challenge is too great to take on.

Are you interested in scheduling an initial consultation with a friendly and experienced representative of our firm? Call (239) 319-4441.