Relocation Petition - How do I respond?

If you have been served with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage requesting relocation, or a Petition to Establish Paternity requesting relocation, your heart has probably sunk into your stomach. The feeling is no different if you've been served with a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Time-Sharing requesting relocation.

Relocating with a minor child who lives in the State of Florida currently is governed by Florida Statutes 61.13001. It contains very specific details that must be followed in order to comply with the Legislature's requirements to keep your son or daughter here in Florida.

This is an area of law that can be confusing to licensed attorneys so it is important you do not make an error. You MUST respond to the Petition within the time specified on your summons. You MUST write an objection in exactly the manner described in Florida Statutes 61.13001 or you can lose your case - just like that.

At Peterson Family Law we are comfortable providing staged representation, self-service options, and customized solutions for your needs, but in the case of relocation, you must heavily weigh the risks of self-representation as the potential negatives can be permanent and life changing.

If you've received a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage requesting Relocation or a Petition to Establish or Modify Time-sharing seeking relocation, we are here to take your call and to schedule a free 30-minute consultation with you.

Related Posts
  • Can I accomplish a Custody Agreement out of Court? Read More
  • Family First Legal Group Named a 2020 Law Firm 500 Honoree for Fastest Growing Law Firms in the U.S. – Four Years Running! Read More
  • Family First says, “File First!” Read More