We are open and here to help! Due to COVID-19, for your safety and convenience, we are providing consultations and meetings via phone or video conferencing. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions! Click here to visit our COVID-19 Resource Center.

Can I travel out of the state with my child?

Hi, this is Alex Peterson at Peterson Family Law and today we are answering question: "Can I travel out of the state with my child during my divorce?" The answer is: "Absolutely not, if you haven't had the court say you can or you have not had your spouse sign your right to do so. The Standing Order strictly and explicitly prohibits your traveling out of the state with the child, unless there is an agreement between the parties or the court says you may. For the pendency of the case, as long as that case is open, you need to keep the child in the jurisdiction of the court or within at least the state of Florida. This may vary depending on your Standing Order, so make sure you read it closely. But the answer is: you cannot travel out of state unless you have an agreement between the parties, yourself and your former spouse, or the judge.