Enforcing Marital Settlement Agreements

Sadly, after you’ve thought it was all over, you have your final judgment in your hands and you can breathe again…your ex doesn’t do what your settlement agreement requires. This is entirely too common, but something Peterson Family Law is well able to assist you with.

Enforcing Marital Settlement Agreements and Final Judgments in Florida is sometimes more complicated than it sounds. Enforcing support awards carries a statutory interest rate that needs to be applied by the litigant, not automatically by the court, enforcement provisions in settlement agreements may have mediation requirements, etc…

An additional benefit to hiring counsel to represent you in your enforcement action comes in the form of payment. Typically the Florida Bar prohibits a lawyer from representing a client on a contingency fee in domestic relations matters, however, this does not apply to enforcement actions. What this means for you is, you can hire a lawyer to represent you and have his/her fee paid out of the proceeds you successfully receive from you ex.

There are a number of unique ways Peterson Family Law can structure its representation of your interests in terms of fees, payments and limited scope representation that makes it all the more risky to go at it alone.

We’re here for you, even after the case is “over.”

Related Posts
  • Can I accomplish a Custody Agreement out of Court? Read More
  • Family First Legal Group Named a 2020 Law Firm 500 Honoree for Fastest Growing Law Firms in the U.S. – Four Years Running! Read More
  • Family First says, “File First!” Read More